Monday, February 08, 2010

Waves in the Square

This past Christmas I decided that I would knit my niece and nephew blankets because I have not yet, I was making their new baby sister or brother a blanket and lastly, why not?

Modified Waves in the Square Shawl
Materials: KnitPicks Swish Worsted
Colorway: Indigo Heather
Needles: US 7/4.5mm
Start Date: November 2009
Finish Date: December18, 2009


So I began my search of a pretty blanket pattern to knit in the round from the center out. With much searching on Ravelry I did not find anything that I really liked. But I did remember that I had bought the Waves in the Square Shawl pattern by Sivia Harding and thought to myself, I can adapt this pattern! And so I did (with some feedback from some knitting friends.) I started the blanket with a circular cast on by Judy Becker, filled in the center of the blanket with seed stitch and did the written increases until I came to the correct amount of stitches to start the pattern as it was charted out. I am not totally pleased on my choice of center fill space because it sort of puckers, but all in all, I am pleased with the whole project. I am sure that it puckers because I did something dumb and not because of the cast-on.

The color was decided by my sister-in-law, I was not sure what my niece's favorite color was this week, so I emailed a color card to her and had her pick for me. It was a huge hit.
My brothers family came up just before Christmas to visit and gifted the blanket to her then. The best part is, my niece LOVES it! I asked her how she liked the blanket and she said that she uses it all the time, that makes an Auntie happy.
Next time....Another blanket and my new niece!

3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!! It's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! And not just because it's purple either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful! I can see why your niece loves it so.

    ReplyDelete