Monday, September 04, 2006

In the beginning

ORGINAL POSTED DATE 8/18/06

So I took up knitting because I need to relieve stress and it was suggested to me. Also because I had surgery and during my recovery I need to be doing something, so I bought needles, yarn and a book! The underlying reason to start this craft comes from my childhood. As a little girl my great grandmother Myrtle Larimer Davis crocheted. She was a pro with yarn and a crochet hook. All year long she would make blankets, hats, scarves, toys, etc. Then when September would come around, the family all got together for her birthday and I mean all of us! (Not exactly positive on the numbers, but it was at least 16 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren, my grandmother would know better than me. Come on, I was young!) She would have us all line up according to age, her grandchildren, then great grandchildren (which I was apart of that group.) And one by one she would lean over and fumble through large containers of handmade projects and find just the right one for you. Every birthday that I can remember, the grandchildren and great grandchildren received the birthday gift from her. I have to admit; at the time when I was a little girl I did not fully appreciate what she had given me. I just thought, wow, another blanket from GG (Great Grandma.) But now that I am all grown up and have began to knit, I often sit and think of her and can now fully understand all the love and attention that she put into every piece that she made from the little baby booties to the large Orange and Black afghan (our school colors) she made. She had created something for us that we were able to hang on to long after she was gone from our lives. To this day our family has pieces that she had created decorating our homes. I want to carry on that type of legacy that she started for my own family. Therefore, I knit. Myrtle Davis, my great grandmother was born September 28, 1891 and passed January 22, 1988, I was 16 years old.

My beginning knitting was not that good as you can imagine. But I am always up for a challenge. I am determined to be a good knitter. I have completed about 3 scarves so far. The first scarf that I made was a pretty wine color in Lion Brand Homespun yarn. Needless to say, it was not perfect! One end the scarf was wider than the other. I just said that it was a design feature! My friend at work who is crafty herself had encouraged me to try out knitting, so she was the recipient of my first FO (Finished Object.)
Since the first FO, I have completed 2 more scarves, both using Lion Brand Homespun yarn, because when and if I make a mistake it is not as obvious with that yarn. One is a skinny long Oatmeal color and the other is a wider Charcoal color. They are currently folded up and stored away for future gift giving. Not sure who is going to receive my early work, but I just hope that they will be put to good use!


I am currently working on 2 projects, which I have heard is common with knitters, to have more than one project going at a time. I am going to try to limit myself to 2 at a time because my skill level is not up to par just yet. The first is a scarf (who would have guessed?) for my best friend’s birthday. I am using Lion Suede yarn. And let me tell you, I am not sure that I will ever use that stuff again. It is turning out great but it is the hardest yarn to knit that I have found so far! The other project is a pale blue baby blanket for a girl I work with. She is expecting her little boy October 24th. As of this point, I have only completed 7 rows of the blanket. This is the largest project that I have attempted and I am not sure if I am going to make it in time for her delivery! I am using the pattern Big Bad Baby Blanket (BBBB) from the Stitch n’ Bitch book. I love the pattern; simple but great looking and I love the Stitch n’ Bitch book. I think it is a must have for new and experienced knitters! So instead of blogging, I need to be knitting. Bye for now, will update you on my progress!!

No comments:

Post a Comment